Silvery Light, was built in 1884 on the beach at St Ives, Cornwall, by William Robert Williams and was launched on 10 July.

For a few years she worked as a fishing boat based in Great Yarmouth as part of the fleet of boats drifting for herring in the North Sea 

But in 1890 she was sold to a Norwegian and renamed RAUST. At at first she was used to fish for Cod but later was used as coastal freighter serving remote settlements in North Norway and the Arctic 

This photo (with thanks to Bengt Jonassen) shows Silvery Light, then named Raust, in her working garb delivering cargo, sand and gravel to communities in the fjords of Norway. Bengt sailed as a boy aboard with his Grandfather who owned her at the time.  

 

In 1931 she was fitted with her first engine and in 1949 she was extensively modified and the attractive counter stern which she now has was added

As bigger ships came along, like so many working sailing vessels, she was abandoned and neglected for many years but in 1988 Mark Rolts shipwrights of Bristol re-rigged her and sailed her back to the UK. For many years she was engaged in Whale watching trips in the Azores and for a period was charterd by the Ocean Youth Trust ireland